Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing

Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing is a beautiful hymm written by Robert Robinson in year 1757.
This hymm with the theme of Sovereign Grace was inspired from the book 1 Samuel in which Prophet Samuel in 1 Samuel 7:12, took a stone and called its name Ebenezer and said "Till now the LORD has helped us". 

In the context of 1 Samuel(1 Samuel 4-7), Israel has been defeated against Philistine as Israel people has taken for granted the grace from God in which God delivered them from slavery at Egypt and all the way to guide them to the promised land but they still sinned against the LORD by idol worshipping Baals and Ashtaroth. The Israelites has thought that by the act of bringing the ark of God to the war will bring them victory against Philistine, but God knows this hideous thought of theirs and bring them defeat instead. As the Israelites was defeated, the ark of God was taken captive by the Philistine, and the ark was brought to the house of Dagon and placed next to the idol Dagon. 

Miraculously, Philistine discovered on the next day when the ark of God was placed, the idol Dagon had fallen face downward on the ground bowing before the ark of God!! Thinking that it may be an coincident incident, the Philistine took the idol Dagon and put it back to it's place, but on the next morning, the same has happened, and this time the head of Dagon and his hands are cut off. The Philistine now realised that this may be the act of God, and the ark of God was sent from a city to another; from Ashdod to Gath; and from Gath to Eskron. As the ark was sent, plagues broke out in those cities. Then the Philistine sought Philistine priest for advise, they were told to set up a test by sending a cart with of 2 milk cows that has never yoke with golden figures of the plagues that has happened to them on the cart and send it of on its way and watch, if the cart goes to the way of Beth-shemesh, it was the act of God of Israel; and if it goes any other direction, the plagues is just coincidence. Behold, the cart then went straight in the way of Beth-shemesh without turning left or right. 

This was indeed the act of God. And now the ark of God has returned to Israel by the will of God and His faithfulness to His people. God has made it known to Israel that God himself alone had brought victory for Israelite and never was Israelites act of carrying the ark of God to war that gave them victory. 

This truth that God himself has gave Israel victory over their enemies were reiterated, when the repented Israelites cries to the LORD for deliverance from Philistines attack and the LORD granted them deliverance by Thunder and confusion to the Philistines, and then came this iconic moment in which prophet Samuel took a stone and called it's name Ebenezer and praised "Till now the LORD has helped us"

In the hymm, it was penned "Jesus sought me when a stranger, Wandering from the fold of God; He, to rescue me from danger, Interposed His precious blood", that God has sought us when we are still stranger, wandering away from God, when we have yet to know God and  are against God, God sought us and gave us the Grace of Salvation. Just as in Romans 5:8, while we were yet sinners, God sought us and justified and redeemed us by His precious blood. And the hymm continues "O to grace how great a debtor, Daily I’m constrained to be! Let Thy goodness, like a fetter, Bind my wandering heart to Thee. Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it, Prone to leave the God I love; Here’s my heart, O take and seal it, Seal it for Thy courts above.", how great in debt of this Grace that redeemed us, and let this goodness from God like a chain bind and seal my heart that is prone to wander against God I love. And I do look forward to the day when I meet the LORD, when I am freed from sinning, then I'll sing of Your Sovereign Grace eternally.


Lyrics

Come, Thou Fount of every blessing,
  Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing,
  Call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet,
  Sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount, I’m fixed upon it,
  Mount of Thy redeeming love.

Sorrowing I shall be in spirit,
  Till released from flesh and sin,
Yet from what I do inherit,
  Here Thy praises I'll begin;
Here I raise my Ebenezer;
  Here by Thy great help I’ve come;
And I hope, by Thy good pleasure,
  Safely to arrive at home.

Jesus sought me when a stranger,
  Wandering from the fold of God;
He, to rescue me from danger,
  Interposed His precious blood;
How His kindness yet pursues me
  Mortal tongue can never tell,
Clothed in flesh, till death shall loose me
  I cannot proclaim it well.

O to grace how great a debtor
  Daily I’m constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
  Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
  Prone to leave the God I love;
Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,
  Seal it for Thy courts above.

O that day when freed from sinning,
  I shall see Thy lovely face;
Clothed then in blood washed linen
  How I’ll sing Thy sovereign grace;
Come, my Lord, no longer tarry,
  Take my ransomed soul away;
Send thine angels now to carry
Me to realms of endless day.


Comments

  1. Did you know there is a 12 word phrase you can tell your crush... that will induce deep feelings of love and impulsive attraction to you buried within his chest?

    Because hidden in these 12 words is a "secret signal" that fuels a man's impulse to love, look after and guard you with his entire heart...

    12 Words That Fuel A Man's Love Instinct

    This impulse is so hardwired into a man's mind that it will drive him to work harder than before to to be the best lover he can be.

    Matter of fact, triggering this powerful impulse is so important to getting the best ever relationship with your man that the moment you send your man one of the "Secret Signals"...

    ...You'll immediately notice him expose his heart and mind for you in a way he never expressed before and he'll identify you as the one and only woman in the universe who has ever truly attracted him.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Simplex implementation in Java with sample code

Tutorial on Connecting Java application to IBM DB2 Express-C edition (Windows)

Tutorial on porting OpenCV(revision:5578) to android in Windows Environment